In my first attempt to inform and entertain, I want to let you know what my kitchen can't do without.
1. Bacon - The universal food. As Bubba waxed poetic about shrimp, I could name hundreds of ways to use this amazing food. There is a reason when you order something “deluxe” or “supreme” it always comes with bacon. Come to think of it, Heather can check, the Latin root of supreme is bacon. My favorite bacon recipes to follow.
2. Paula Deen’s House Seasoning – This amazing blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder has replaced the salt and pepper shaker. I use it to season meats, potatoes and veggies. What I didn’t expect is how terrific it is on omelets and scrambled eggs. The downside is that it comes in small spice sized containers which is why I have tried to make my own version. I’m close but getting the right mix is tricky. I’ll let you know how it goes.
3. Italian Dressing – A high quality Italian dressing can be a great marinade or finishing sauce for meats. One of my favorites is a product called Garlic Expressions, a specialty item that can be found at most local grocery stores, that I like to put on a summer tomato and cucumber salad.
4. Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Nothing is better to cook with than E.V.O.O. Put some e.v.o.o. in the pan and sauté your veggies with the previously mentioned seasoning and they come out amazing.
5. Chicken Stock (low sodium) – Switch out water with some chicken stock and your dish takes on a whole new life. Many uses include soups, stews, chicken and noodles.
So, there you have it. Let me know what you think.