Friday, July 9, 2010

Eggtown

For those of you who don't know, the title of this post is a reference to the most genius television show since Star Trek. Points if you know what it is.
As many of you know, my kitchen sees a lot of action. I make a lot of cakes. Because I make a lot of cakes, I frequently end up with a lot of unused egg yolks. A lot. Like dozens at a time. As you also know, I'm really cheap. I don't like to let food go to waste. Unfortunately there are only so many things one can make with unlimited supplies of egg yolks. For a while I would make pudding or pie filling with them. I also like very much to make my own mayonnaise and aioli. Yesterday, though, I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the golden little chicks in my refrigerator and began searching for alternative uses for them.
After a quick search of the internet, I ran across a site that had a host of recipes for beauty products made from groceries. Bingo! Egg yolk hair conditioner. Yep, I did it. The particular concoction I found was a mix of olive oil and egg yolks, followed by a vinegar rinse. I kept thinking the whole time that I could be making aioli with the products in my hair, but I pressed on anyway. It was so gross. When I rinsed the egg out of my hair, it felt as if I had one enormous dreadlock attached to the top of my head. My hair has never been so tangly. However, the day after (today) it does feel stronger and have a bit more life. It was still icky, and made me want some aioli and blanched veggies.
If anybody sees me about town combing through my locks with a piece of blanched asparagus or a carrot stick, you'll know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment